Bariatric surgery is a life-changing procedure that can significantly improve your health and quality of life. Often, conditions like type 2 diabetes, PCOS and rheumatoid arthritis go into remission after surgery. And many of our patients see improvements in joint pain, cardiovascular health and cholesterol levels. The benefits are priceless.
At our bariatric surgery centre in Mississauga, Ontario, some of the most common questions we get asked are:
- Who is eligible for bariatric surgery?
- Is bariatric surgery covered by OHIP?
- How much does bariatric surgery cost?
- What is included in the cost of weight loss surgery?
Who is eligible for bariatric surgery?
Bariatric surgery is only appropriate for patients who fit certain criteria. At SmartShape, patients must have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher. Many patients also have weight-related health problems and have not been able to achieve significant and sustained weight loss on their own.
Is bariatric surgery covered by OHIP?
OHIP covers some weight loss surgery procedures, but not all of the procedures offered at SmartShape and the eligibility criteria are different. To be a candidate, you must have a BMI of at least 40 or have a BMI of 35 with serious weight-related health conditions.
Provincial programs only offer gastric bypass and in very specific circumstances, the gastric sleeve. And wait times for surgery covered by OHIP can be up to five years.
How much does bariatric surgery cost?
This cost can be made more practical and convenient with payment plans through one of SmartShape’s financing partners. Many of these programs offer zero percent down from your choice of lenders and applications are easy to complete. It takes only minutes to find out if you’re approved.
What is included in the cost of weight loss surgery?
At SmartShape, we offer world-class, accredited surgical excellence along with our unparalleled five-year Aftercare Success Program. Ours is the longest and most comprehensive program in Canada.
What you receive with surgery from SmartShape is much different than what you can expect from surgery at a public hospital. This includes luxuries like a private room at a private hospital and exceptional ongoing support from the nurses and dietitians on our AfterCare Success team.
- Surgery booked at a time that’s convenient for you with short wait times.
- Surgery at a modern, beautiful, private hospital with one of SmartShape’s top surgeons, who are all experts in bariatric procedures.
- An overnight stay at the private hospital with nursing care.
- Studies show that having a support system is a crucial part of maintaining weight loss. SmartShape includes five years of customized, expert medical and nutrition support from the nurses and dietitians on SmartShape’s AfterCare Success team in the cost of every surgery we perform. This includes ongoing, on-demand telehealth support, regular check-in appointments, informative webinars and indispensable information in our pre and post-surgery guidebooks.
Ready to get started? Begin your weight loss journey today
Book your free consultation with our accredited weight loss surgeons and start your journey towards better health!