This is a perfect hearty soup for those crisp fall days that incorporates Ontario grown leeks and Yukon Gold. Leeks and potatoes are both in season during the months of August to February which makes this recipe a great soup for the winter as well.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 3 medium leeks, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 2/3 cups skim milk (0%fat)
- Freshly ground black pepper
1) Heat canola oil in a large pot
2) Add shallots, leeks and potatoes, and cook on low to medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Add chicken or vegetable broth and milk, and simmer half covered on medium heat for 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender
4) Transfer vegetables and some of the liquid to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
5) Add more of the remaining liquid until desired consistency.
6) Ladle into 4 soup bowls and season with black pepper and add chopped chives and fresh parsley
Recipe, and nutrition facts from lowfatcooking.about.com.