Healthy Nachos – Really!
- 1 bag of 20 mixed sweet mini peppers or a couple big bell peppers (yellow, orange, red)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped to add taste
- 1 1-ounce bag taco mix (If you want to make it extra healthy skip this)
- 1 16-ounce can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded mixed taco low fat cheese
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Low fat parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Cut each pepper in half the long way. Remove seeds and stem, and place pepper halves on the lined baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. When hot, add onion and jalapeño pepper. Sauté until onion is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Use a small bowl to mix the taco mix in with the refried beans. Using a spatula or a spoon, fill each pepper halfway with some of the refried beans. (trick: pour the refried beans into a gallon size zip lock baggy and make a small cut in the corner of the bag (like a pastry bag) so you can squeeze the beans directly onto the peppers.)
- Using your hands, sprinkle the onion and jalapeño mix on top of each filled pepper half.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the peppers.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven about 8 inches away from the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and golden, 2-3 minutes
Recipe and Image Reference: http://www.lifesedibleessence.com/healthy-nachos/