“Hey, you look great!” might not be a compliment you were used to hearing in the past. But now you’re navigating the world with a whole new body and outlook on life, and people are noticing all the positive changes you’ve made.
Watching your body change after weight loss surgery is exciting, but it can also feel a little overwhelming. After your weight loss surgery, you might find that there’s a disconnect between your new body and your old thought patterns and self-image. Your body is transforming – but your mindset also needs to transform!
No matter what weight loss option you selected to help you transform your body (such as gastric sleeve surgery, mini gastric bypass, and Lap-Band™ surgery), it’s important to know that change also comes from within. Embracing your new body and changing old thought patterns will help you achieve a greater sense of confidence and happiness throughout your weight loss journey.
Here are a few ways you can boost your confidence after your weight loss surgery:
6 Ways to Build Up Your Body Image
- Be mindful of how you talk to yourself. We’re all guilty of self-criticism. If you’ve active on social media, it can be easy to compare yourself to heavily edited photos. If you find yourself thinking negative thoughts about your body, be conscious about stopping the pattern and giving yourself a compliment instead. Nobody in the world is perfect, and nobody expects you to be perfect!
- Focus on the positive and celebrate your achievements. Maybe you haven’t reached your goal weight or body shape yet – that’s okay! Don’t be hard on yourself for not making overnight progress. Remember: slow and steady wins the race. Instead of thinking that you still have a certain amount of weight left to lose, celebrate the amount that you’ve already lost! Every small achievement you make deserves a pat on back, so be your own cheerleader as you move forward.
- Practice self-care. Oftentimes we’re so busy with work and family that we neglect ourselves. Sometimes we also neglect ourselves because we think that self-care is selfish or we don’t deserve time dedicated to ourselves. You are worth it! Self-care is an important part of developing a healthy, positive relationship with your body. What makes you feel happy and reenergised after a stressful day? It might be a bubble bath, a walk, painting your nails, reading a book, or calling a friend.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Your journey is unique and nobody is on the same path as you. If someone’s weight loss progress seems faster than yours, don’t worry. You’re allowed to progress at your own pace. It’s especially important not to compare your body to anyone else’s. Remember that the photos you see on social media are airbrushed and edited. If you feel down because you’re comparing yourself to others, take a break from social media or unfollow people who aren’t a positive influence on you. Focus on yourself and your own journey.
- Accept compliments gracefully. If you’re not used to receiving compliments, it can feel strange when they start pouring in. Your friends, family, and coworkers may notice your weight loss journey and compliment your progress. Don’t downplay yourself – accept all compliments with a smile and proudly say, “thank you!”
- Build your support network. Surround yourself with people who make you feel good and encourage you. Your support network doesn’t have to be large, it could only be one or two people. What matters is that you have someone who makes you feel positive and supported. Your support network might even be a professional, like a therapist or life coach you works with you to build your confidence and move past any bad habits.
Are You Ready to Explore Your Weight Loss Options in Canada? Start Your Transformation with SmartShape Weight Loss Centre
If you’re ready to take the first step in your weight loss journey and transform your life, SmartShape Weight Loss Centre in Ontario, Canada is ready to help you. We offer expert weight loss surgery to help you achieve your body and lifestyle goals. SmartShape Weight Loss Centre offers a variety of weight loss surgery options in Ontario, Canada, including gastric sleeve, Lap-Band™, and mini gastric bypass surgery. Our registered bariatric surgeon and compassionate aftercare team will guide you through every step of your weight loss transformation. Learn more about our weight loss surgery procedures and explore our patient success stories to discover how weight loss surgery can change your life.
SmartShape Weight Loss Centre is unique because we are the first bariatric surgery centre in Canada accredited by the Bariatric Centre of Excellence. We also offer a 5-year aftercare program to ensure our patients achieve lasting weight loss and have the tools they need for success. We welcome you to schedule a complimentary virtual consultation with our expert bariatric surgeon in Ontario to discuss your goals and which weight loss surgery is right for you.