Kale Salad With Sweet Potatoes
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 cup pinto beans, cooked or canned (rinsed well and drained)
- 1/2 tsp additional pumpkin seeds and chopped hot pepper for garnish
- Low fat dressing of your choice for light drizzle
Preheat a large grill, grill pan, or oven (to 425 degrees).
Slice the sweet potato into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Place the slices on the grill, grill pan, or non-stick baking sheet. Brush the tops with low sodium soy sauce, and grate a little black pepper over them. Grill or bake until tender, turning after 5 minutes in a grill pan or 10 minutes in the oven.
Remove from oven. Transfer to a cutting boardand cut into cubes or wedges.
While the sweet potato is cooking, place the chopped kale in a very large bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Using clean hands, massage the dressing into the kale, squeezing the kale in your hands until it is softened and reduced in volume by about two-thirds. Do not be gentle! This massage should take 2–4 minutes.
Put the kale on a serving plate or bowl and top with the sweet potatoes and pinto beans. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and chopped hot peppers. Drizzle with more dressing.
Approved by SmartShape’s Registered Dietitian
Image and Recipe Reference: fatfreevegan.com